Thursday, August 18, 2011

To Maarje, from Estonia

I'm sorry.  I really am.

You caught me at a bad time.  You might have noticed that I was trying to keep 4 kids and 2 dogs inside the door as you gave me your schpiel about books.  I understand you may not have understood the "No Soliciting" sign right above the doorbell you rang.

I admire your perseverance, continuing on even when the kids and dogs went crazy.  And how you followed me around after they all got out and I was frantically chasing the dog we're babysitting.  Who runs like a wild animal if she gets out.  And only understands Spanish.

Truly, it was amazing that you could keep a straight face and tell me about your books as I ran like a crazy woman, calling out "Princessa!!! Ven aqui!!" and not even knowing if I was telling the dog to come here, or maybe saying something completely different. All the while trying to tell my kids in English to please go back inside and take Charisma with them.

Maybe it was the heat.  I could see your fair, European skin couldn't take the direct sun.  I could tell you were hot and tired.  Yet you still took the time to show me on the map where Estonia was.

And even though I repeatedly told you I wasn't interested, and was clearly occupied with my menagerie, you did your job flawlessly.  You did not stop telling me about those books!  For even a second!

Thank you for telling me that flamingos are pink because of all the shrimp they eat, and that if they stopped eating them they would turn gray.  I am SO going to use that piece of trivia some day!

But in all seriousness, I'm sorry you got stuck with such a poopy job, walking neighborhoods trying to sell books to harried mothers such as myself who don't have the time or energy you deserve.  I hope your time in America isn't defined by the semi-insane woman you met at the door today.  Or the circus that you unsuspectingly walked into.

So, dear Maarje (from Estonia).  I'm sorry.  I wish I could've bought your books, or even just listened quietly and respectfully to your speech.  Maybe even offered you a glass of cold water.  Unfortunately, my children and my dogs were very uncooperative.

I hope you had better luck with my neighbors.

Estonia.  It's by Russia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah Ha! Lol - you made my day! Figure its about time I admitted to being a blog-stalker, and told you how much I love to read your writing:) Have a good one. Say hi to the next Estonian for me!
Verba (from Delaware)

Ruth said...

Your "uterus exploding" comment totally cracked me up!!! Thanks for stopping by the other day! =)

I always hang up on telemarketers, just because I don't have time to deal with them. And then, I often feel bad because I know they're just doing their job, and they have to eat too...

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Hey, girl! Just wanted to say hey :). Hope you're having a great week!