Thursday, October 14, 2010

Just call me CatWoman


Today, I was CatWoman.

Or maybe just a cat burglar. Without the burglaring part.

Let me explain.

This morning the kids and I all bustled out the door to take my oldest to the bus stop. (HA! I just wrote BUST stop.  We most definitely did NOT go there.)  Anyway, I guess as a kindness to me, she locked the door on our way out.  Except, I didn't bring my keys with me.  And since we have a Stage 2/3 kidnapper/rapist living just a few houses down from us (lucky us, no?) I make sure the doors and windows are locked when we're home.

Now, if we were smart we'd have a key hidden somewhere.  But, we aren't smart.  Sorry, kids.

So I went around the whole house to see if just possibly we had left a door or window unlocked.  There are 3 doors and 2 windows that we have access to... the others are all on the second story and unless you have a long ladder or Inspector Gadget stretchy legs/arms, they are out of reach.

Everything was locked up tight. GO ME!  No rapist is gonna be harming MY babies anytime soon.  Except, I had also just as efficiently locked myself (and my babies) out of the house. Darn it.  I could have called Romeo, but he works a minimum of 45 minutes away; so that'd be at least 1.5 hours of wasted drive time for him, probably closer to 2 hours.

So, I got ingenious.  Our kitchen window is wonky.  We are privileged to live in a house with old aluminum windows.  Classy.  But in this case, it helped me out.  The kitchen window, as I said, is wonky.  One side of it always falls off; so the glass has aluminum on 3 sides but the 4th side is just the glass.

Well, I was desperately trying to get that window open because it doesn't lock properly.  I shimmied it and banged it and jiggled it.  The side fell down, effectively becoming a lock for the window, because it prevented the window from sliding at all.  I know I'm doing a horrible job of painting this picture for you.  I'm sorry.

Anyway, there was a gap between the windows, so I got a stick, hoping to push the frame that had fallen off out of the way so the window could slide open.  All I did was scrape the bark off the stick.  I needed something sturdier, stronger.  I looked around and saw an old hurricane lamp we had on the deck.  It had a metal handle.

I wrangled that thing off (feeling like somebody on Survivor or Man vs. Nature) and used it to push the fallen frame out of the way.  Then I simply slid open the window and climbed inside.  Into my kitchen sink, but whatev.  I was IN!

Here are some pictures to maybe help it make more sense:
Here is the window with the edge/frame that falls off.  It had fallen to the left, so it was blocking the window from sliding.



Here is the aftermath of the window frame falling in, with the wire still wrapped around it. 

I feel like this story was much better in my head, and I guarantee you would've been impressed if you saw me in action. 

Alas, this is all I've got for now.

But I won't be offended if you refer to me as Cat Woman in the future.




1 comment:

Tereza said...

Cat woman huh? Sleek and strong and independent!