Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Resolutions

I know it's still early and not quite New Year's, but I decided to list my resolutions for the year so I can start practicing now. =)

1) No more yelling.

















I starting watching "17 Kids and Counting" and Michelle Duggar doesn't yell.  Her niece Amy even goes so far as to say she's never heard her yell.  Granted, I wouldn't yell with a TV crew around, or even with other family members (maybe).  But I've come to the conclusion I do far too much yelling, and it's rubbing off on my kiddos.  "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." So, in 2011 I am going to consciously work to cut out the yelling and to speak quietly and calmly to my husband and children.

2) Exercise and Eat Healthy

















This is important.  Yes, it takes time and dedication.  Yes, I don't feel like I have a lot of energy or time.  But this is something I need to make time for.  I want to be healthy.  I want to instill these habits in my children-that we eat healthy foods and exercise our bodies.  It's not wrong or bad to eat junk once in a while, or to take a vacation.  But overall, our body is a temple, and I want to take care of mine.

3) Spend more time/do more with my children.














It's easier, by far, to just do things myself.  But then my kiddos don't have childhood memories of working side by side with me.  And I want them to have those memories.  So I aim to include them more.  I think they are capable of more than I think, especially if I let my demands and expectations go and just enjoy the time bonding with them.

4) Expand my menu/meal planning.

















I tend to serve the same things over and over, which is great if it's something my family loves, but then we also get stuck in a rut.  I want my children to learn to try new foods and I want to learn to make new foods.  I'm actually really excited about this one. BONUS! I can kill two birds with one stone if I'm making something new WITH my kiddos. =)

5) Learn to shop within a budget.


















Currently I go to the grocery store, throw in my cart what we need and some things we don't, whip out my debit card and call it good.  Totally mindless spending.  Which is okay; we have the money.  But we aren't really actively working on getting out of debt.  We have paid of most all of our debt, but there is still some left.  And I'm over that.  I want to be debt free entirely (besides our house).  So, starting in January... actually I already started this one.  We are going to set up a budget and I will shop with, *gasp* CASH.  This is a big one for me.  I'll be investing in a calculator, as I have the math skills of a bug.  Meaning, none.  But I'm also really excited to make this work!


So, that's what I'll be working on, really focusing on in the New Year.


What are your resolutions?

2 comments:

Liz said...

My resolution is for 2011 to be better than 2010. I'm thinking it will be a cinch;) Oh, and also to drop 30 lbs (TOTALLY doable in one year!) and start jogging again. And get on a cleaning schedule in my apt so it doesn't get to the point of being overwhelming. And start keeping healthier snacks in the house for Savannah. I think that about does it.

Sunshine Mama said...

I'm with you on the yelling. I have been working on it too, but that seems like a good resolution to me.