Monday, March 7, 2011

My Kiddos, Part Two: Christian Michael

When Kate was a mere 4 months old, I got pregnant with Christian.  Actually, I had a miscarriage and then got pregnant with Christian.  The doctor was as surprised as I was that I got pregnant so soon after the miscarriage, but when I went to have my hormone levels checked, there was no denying it.  Well, that and the non-stop puking and nausea. ;-)

Kate and Christian are a mere 14 months apart.  When I look back at pictures of when he was born, I am shocked at how little Kate was! She was still a BABY!!

Christian tried to come early twice.  The first time I was 30 weeks pregnant and Josh was out of the state for work.  My sister took me to the hospital and I don't remember being scared or worried.  In my head, it was too early for the baby to come, so the hospital would stop my labor.  Easy peasy, right? ;-)  Josh was a bit frantic on the phone, wondering if he should catch the next flight home, but I kept reassuring him that it would be fine.

And it was.  They gave me Terbutaline which slowed the contractions down and I was allowed to go home the same day.  Then when I was 35 weeks pregnant, I started having regular contractions again.  This time the doctors said they wouldn't stop the labor (isn't that weird!? WHY would they not try to stop it??) but it ended up not mattering; they stopped on their own the next day.

In the end, I had the doc strip my membranes and that got things going and Mr. Christian Michael arrived.  He was only 6 pounds 7 ounces and SO tiny and scrawny.  When he first came out he looked scarily similar to Bozo the clown.  He had hair all around his head, but none on top.  And it looked very red.  I have red hair. I hate it. I was very sad to see he had red hair.  But it lightened up quite a bit and he now has blonde/brown hair. Whew! :-P

Look at my little old man (and see how red his hair looked!?):

Look how tiny KATE was! And SO excited to be a big sister. :-D
Our little family.
Here is my MIL with Christian; she is the one who has brain cancer.
I remember that after I had Christian, Mom and Dad H came into the room, almost right after. I was still in the birthing room.  And I was so so so exhausted.  I was so glad to have her there, loving on my baby boy because I was too tired to even see straight.  Mom H noticed and went out in search of food and came back with a lunch box she had rummaged up and made me a sandwich, and it was JUST what I needed to perk up and enjoy my newborn.  She is an amazing woman.

I'll be the first to admit that Christian was an odd looking baby. He really was.
He was so tiny that the first two months of his life he wore preemie clothes. I can't even tell you how tiny they were!
He was a happy little dude.
And he had such a sweet face. No more Bozo/Old Man syndrome!
 
Once he got a bit bigger, it became obvious that he had a lazy eye.  So he got glasses. At the ripe old age of 4 months!
Look at my tiny little professor.
When he got bigger and started rolling, they wanted me to try out some flexible rubber glasses.
HA HA!  Have you seen anything sillier!? Unfortunately (although I was quite glad) they wouldn't stay on his head right.
They kept flipping up and ending up on his forehead. So we went back to the original style.
But he didn't wear them all the time.
He is ALL boy and loves sports and being active.
Here he is playing hide and seek.  He's hiding behind the tree. :-D
He is a very sweet, sensitive soul.  He is also really silly and brings lots of joy and laughter into my life.  He is a wonderful big brother to Owen, and he puts up with Kate's shenanigans.  Usually. ;-)

We love you, Christian!

4 comments:

divad said...

He was NOT a funny looking baby. He was adorable RA!!!! Does he still wear glasses?

Tereza said...

He is soooo cute!!!!!!!!!! I didn;t realize your kids were that close in age! My closest set are 15m apart (Ayla and Ashley)

Liz said...

It is SO wierd for me to look back on baby pics of Christian. I can't remember him ever being any other way than he is now. I seriously don't remember him being a baby. Why is that?? And Kate is looking at him as a newborn the same way she looks at Savannah now;) Obsessed. lol
Also, my word verification was phock. I don't think that's appropriate, do you?

The Skinny Turtle said...

Dawne, He does still wear glasses. Actually this summer he is going to have surgery on his eye to fix it, but he'll still wear glasses because he is near sighted. Just like his mama. ;-)

T-Yep, Kate and Christian are 14 months apart and Christian and Owen are 18. I was pregnant 5 times within 30 months!!!!!!!