Thursday, May 26, 2011

Precious Little Children

Oh, you guys. 

Last night I was surfing the net, reading new blogs that I've found recently.  One of my favorites is this one: Gaggle of Greens

She is genuine and funny. =)  While reading through her blog, I came upon a post where her daughter cut her hair and sold it to Locks of Love in honor of a little girl named Kate who has cancer.

Whoo boy.

I went to Kate's CaringBridge site... cue tears.  Here it is, if you want to read it: Kate McRae  I'm sure her family would appreciate all the prayers, love and support they can get. 

Kate is 7 now but was only 5 when she was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  My daughter Kate is 6 now.  My MIL has a brain tumor.  It totally tugged at my heart and spoke to me. 

It made me so so so so so SO thankful for my healthy children, despite the fact that they've been acting like total crazy hooligans lately.  I'm talking CRAZY.  Crazier than the lovechild of Charlie Sheen and Lady GaGa.  Yeah, it's bad.

They have been kicking each other.  Hitting each other.  SPITTING on each other. :-O  WHAAA?????   I did not raise them to be this way. 

But after reading about Kate's journey and battle for her life, my goodness I realized how much I have to be thankful for.  All my children are healthy.  Yes, they act like rabid monkeys sometimes, but they ARE young after all.  Sometimes I tend to forget that.  They've only been in the world such a short amount of time!  Kate is 6, Christian is 5 and Owen is only 3.  Yet I expect them to behave like they are already full grown, with manners to boot!

When I was pregnant (5 times in 2.5 years, if I may refresh your memory) it was SUCH a whirlwind.  I got pregnant so fast, so many times that I hardly even had time to think of the blessing it was that I gave birth to 3 healthy children.  That my pregnancies were for the most part uncomplicated.  That my kiddos have all their fingers and toes.  Everything works.  It really is nothing short of a MIRACLE.  To have a healthy baby!  And even though I always thought it was cheesy when people would say, "We don't care if it's a boy or girl, we just want a healthy baby."  Now I'm all, "AMEN, Sister! Preach it! Hallelujah!!"

Anyway, I went in to check on them before I went to bed last night, like I always do.  I gave each one a kiss and hugged them extra tight, and thanked the Good Lord above for His bountiful blessings over me.  I am so richly blessed!!!!

While tucking him in, Owen woke up.  He smiled at me sleepily and gave me a kiss.  Then, as I turned to walk away I heard, "Mommy?"  "Yes, Owen?"  A huge grin lit up his face and he said, "I love you more than strawberries."  Oh. My. Word.  MELT MY HEART!!!!!!

So, I just want to take a step back and appreciate them for the sweet little people they are.  Even when they are karate chopping each other and everything around them.  Even when they throw 11 birdies and 5 flipflops on the roof.  Where mama can't reach them.  Because she is afraid of ladders.  And rickety porch roofs.  Even when they are laughing hysterically even though they were supposed to be asleep 45 minutes ago.  And even when Kate, my sweet, FEISTY Kate says, "HUMPH!!!" about everything I ask her to do.  And she literally says "HUMPH".  I do not know where she learned this.  I do not say HUMPH. 

They are my babies, and they always will be.  And I am so thankful for them.  How can you not love these faces!?

2 comments:

Tereza said...

So much to be thankful for! When I looked at pictures of the recent tornado....I realized I should be more thnakful, even for the rain! People have lost their homes and loved ones...and here I am with everyone safe under one roof!

Your children are beautiful!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

So, so true...we have so much to be thankful for! What a great picture! Hope you all had a great weekend!