Friday, May 27, 2011

Scone Recipe

I know... two posts in two days!!  It's amazing, isn't it? ;-)

So.  I have this scone recipe and it's the bomb.  It really is.  I originally found the recipe on allrecipes.com, I think.  And so I wanted to share it.  With you.  Because I love you that much and think you should make them.  Don't be afraid, cuz it's actually really easy and then you can impress your friends and family. =)

These scones are not dry.  They are just delicious.  And you can make whatever flavor combination suits your fancy.

Here is the basic dough recipe:

1 c sour cream + 1 t baking soda, mixed
4 c flour
1 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1/4 t cream of tartar
1 t salt
1 c butter, cold (use the real stuff, not margarine) (and I use salted sweet cream butter because that's just what I buy and have on hand)
1 egg
1 t vanilla

You mix the sour cream and baking soda first and let it stand while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.  It will rise and expand quite a bit, so use a big bowl.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt until well combined. I use my KitchenAid for the whole thing, but you can also do it by hand. Once the dry ingredients are combined, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.  Mix the egg and vanilla together and then add to the dry ingredients, along with the proofed sour cream.  Mix just until combined.  The more you mix, the more coarse/tough the scones will be.  So be gentle.

Then from there you can add whatever you want!  Here are some suggestions:


Cranberry Orange White Chocolate Scones:
Add 1/2 c craisins
1/2 c orange juice concentrate, thawed (I also add orange extract... about a teaspoon)
1 c white chocolate chips

Orange Milk Chocolate Scones:
Add 1/2 c orange juice concentrate, thawed + 1 t orange extract (the extract is optional)
1 c milk chocolate chips

Cinnamon Sugar Scones:
Add 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 t nutmeg to the dough.  Once the scones are rolled and cut on the cookie sheets, brush the tops of them with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Chocolate Chip Scones
Just add 1 c chocolate chips to the dough

So once your dough is mixed with whatever flavor combination you chose, turn onto floured surface and knead gently a few times.  I usually divide the dough into 3 or 4 different "disks".  I pat each one into a circle and cut with a pizza cutter.  You can make the scones as big or small as you like; they do rise/expand quite a bit.

Transfer to a greased cookie sheet (or use a silpat-that's the absolute easiest!! And you can get knock-off silicone sheets at places like Target or Wal-Mart.) leave 2-3 inches between the scones. Sometimes the dough turns out really sticky and moist.  I'm not sure why or what causes it, but if that happens then I just spoon the dough into blobs on the cookie sheet (without kneading it at all).  They don't turn out in pretty little triangles, but they taste just as great. ;-)  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.  They may still look light and not done, but you don't want to overbake them or they get dry.  If the bottoms are brown, consider them done.

It may seem complicated or like a lot of steps, but it's really, really not.  I promise.  Especially if you have a stand mixer to do most of the work.  These freeze well if you wrap them in foil and freeze in a gallon freezer bag.  Then I just take them out of the plastic freezer bag (still wrapped in foil) and place them in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes to warm them up. You can easily pull a few out of the freezer if you have unexpected guests and voila! Scones and coffee and super impressed friends! ;-D

In the winter I make these far more often than I'd like to admit.  Seriously, a few times a week.  And then I just freeze the extras.

My absolute favorite are the Orange Milk Chocolate ones; but then I'm a fool for the chocolate oranges they sell around Christmas time, so there you go.

If you try them, let me know how they turned out and how you liked them!!

Make em for breakfast tomorrow morning to kick off this Memorial Day Weekend right! :-D

1 comment:

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Oh goodness, these sound fantastic! I'll have to give them a try!